Home Seller Tips
Inexpensive ways to make your home leave a GREAT first impression.
Once your home is listed and the for-sale sign is firmly implanted in your front lawn, all is ready for would-be buyers to tour your home…or is it?
As anyone in the real estate industry will tell you, it’s important to make your home look its best when it comes time to show it. First impressions mean a lot. Even if you’re in a market where homes are selling quickly and for full asking price it’s still key to spruce up your home and prove that it’s worth every penny you’re asking…and it does not have to cost you a fortune.
Some things you can do to ensure your home’s exterior lands a favorable first impression include:
- Stay on top of your lawn mowing and maintenance and tidy up your front landscaping.
- Plop a new, colorful welcome mat in front of the door.
- Fresh coat of paint on trim, doors, windows.
- Move all the toys, bikes, etc. away from front of the home.
- Clean your windows.
- Repair any loose shingles—the last thing a potential buyer wants to worry about is the roof.
- Paint and repair your gutters.
ONCE THE EXTERIOR WOWS YOUR POTENTIAL BUYERS,
you’ll need to continue to make an impact on them when they make their way inside. For starters:
- Remove all clutter—make sure kitchen and bathroom countertops are as clear as possible, try to keep toys organized in closets and shelves, temporarily remove any excess knickknacks or family photos if you tend to have a lot.
- Touch up your walls, trim with paint if needed.
- Clean all appliances inside and out.
- Eliminate odors as much as possible, especially if you have indoor pets or there is a smoker in the house.
- Let the light in—open all your blinds and curtains.